Thursday, November 12, 2009

Final Days

My Facebook Page | My Blog

Wow... these last few days at Cardinal Hill have been a blur. We have been working hard on the walking stuff, I can walk a bit better with my walker, and I even fell on my face (on purpose) to practice getting up should I encounter the worst. Today, we went bowling (it was an outing, mostly for the folks who haven't been 'out' in a chair). I didn't do terribly... mostly it was about helping the others that were there learn to solve problems and get around in the real world.

I have pretty mixed feelings about leaving. I know I could benefit from more time here, the progress we've made is amazing. I don't like the thought of heading back to work, lol, but who would? At the same time, it'll be nice to let my body recover a bit, and besides, I'll be doing some outpatient therapy to continue what we have been working on. The biggest thing I'll miss is the people, everyone I have met here is just incredible. I can't imagine a better team of therapists, nurses, and aides, and the food isn''t half bad either. I would totally stay here if I could!

One of the folks here brought up to me (more than once) the idea that I should consider trying my hand at Rehabilitative Counseling, or even Social Work. I had never really considered that before, though it kinda seems like a good fit for my personality, yanno? Of course, I couldn't be much of a rehab therapist in Williamsburg, so there's that can of worms...

What have I learned from being at Cardinal Hill? Let's see...I have learned the importance of having a catch phrase. I have learned that if you spend 3 hours a day in therapy, you are bound to fall in love with everyone around you. I have learned that prostheses never work when you want them to. I have learned that my bladder is not a fan of being injected with cold liquid. I have redeiscovered the utility of a hospital table. I have learned that the best way to get a private room is to be toxic. Most of all, I have learned the possibilities that are still open for me to learn, move, and grow, even two and a half years after my accident.

Let me close with this... There is a poster that hangs in the therapy gym. I noticed it tucked under some other things on the first day, and I think it is appropriate for everyone, especially my teacher friends.


THE TEN NEVERS OF THERAPY
  1. Never say you can't, because you are going to do it anyway.
  2. Never say 'it's easy', because we'll just make it hard.
  3. Never say 'I want to go home', because we'll just keep you longer.
  4. Never lose count, because you'll start again at one.
  5. Never complain, because we never listen.
  6. Never argue, because you'll never win.
  7. Never scream or cry, it only encourages us.
  8. Never look like you're enjoying it, because we'll put a stop to it.
  9. Never hold your breath, because if you pass out and die, we have to fill out the paperwork.
  10. Never lie or cheat, because we know the truth, and you'll live to regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to leave me feedback? That's swell!