Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Day 1 - Evaluation Day!


My Facebook Page My Blog

Well, today was my first evaluation with my therapists. I am actually writing this throughout the day, so bear with me.

My first session was with my Occupational Therapist, except she is leaving town tomorrow so she won't be my therapist at all; she's Whitney and she just came in the room, haha. At any rate, she came in to watch me bathe ad dress and whatnot to see what my capabilities are. She was surprised by my current level, and said she may have to dig in to her 'secret bag of tricks' to find things for me to work on. My grip strength was over 100 in each hand which absolutely destroys the Fitness Five data for men my age at about 75-80. She said lots of good things. We are going to work on some upper body exercises and on doing things while standing up, or that is the plan thus far.

Just got a visit from the doctor - turns out my cholesterol sucks now, too! they are putting me on some kinda drug. The H-number was like 250-something and the L-number was like 23. Can you say, dislike?

Okay, so it is a couple of hours later and I have had both my PT evaluation and my first PT session. The therapist is Becca, and she is super cool. Also, she has a student from Michigan, and I LOVE screwing with PT students,so I have already been having a good time with that. All of the nurses, therapists, and staff have a great sense of humor and I fit in well. So far, we are working on re-establishing my tolerance for standing upright and trying
to correct some problems associated with my feet and those muscles being really tight.

They switched me over to a more diabetic-friendly diet, but the food is still good. I am glad that they have us converge in the dining room for our meals instead of feeding us in the room; it creates a more social atmosphere, and gets everyone that is able to move, moving. Kudos for that one, C-Hill.

I also got some shoes, some of what we used to call 'moon boots' at the Drake; hold on a sec, I'll take a picture. Hopefully they will help with the foot issues; these come as Dr. Salles' orders.

OMG I just thought of the dog! They have these therapeutic dogs that come Thursdays and Tuesdays. One of them, called Samson, is the largest great dane I have ever seen! In the chair, I literally was face-to-face with this dog! I will take a picture of him on Thursday. Holy carp (it's a fish), that was a biggun'!

In an unrelated note, my online class last night had some technical difficulties, so while I am caught up on my end the professor says we are a week behind and will have to work hard to catch up.

Okay, well, I suppose that is it for the update today. I meet the shrink that works on this unit this afternoon, I hear she's pretty nice and a lot of fun as well. It's one of those things where everyone has to talk to the shrink at some point just like at the Drake.

Last thing: pray I get a good roomie! Still no word there, I'd love a young para who is new to the game so I can seem all cool, lol. Keep it real!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to leave me feedback? That's swell!