Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cripple Equipment 101 - The Backpack


In my post the other day, I mentioned a story about a northern Ohio woman who was caught shoplifting at a Kohl's department store. The article states that the woman had several items of clothing on her person and in her backpack, attempting to smuggle the items out of the store. I kinda find this scary, because you just never know what kind of reaction this even might get from store owners around the country...

The backpack is an essential accessory for the on-the-go paraplegic. I have two kid-sized ones that I bought on clearance at Old Navy; I have also been known to carry a small gym bag and even a fanny pack a few times.

What makes the backpack so important? It gives the paraplegic a freedom from worrying about their destination. In my backpack, I carry everything I need to convert any place I may visit into a cripple-friendly zone.

Standard backpack equipment might include catheters and cath accessories, like lubricant, anti-bacterial wipes, and hand sanitizer. I also like to carry an empty plastic bottle for use as a makeshift urinal; be sure to choose something with a tight-fitting lid in case you can't get to a toilet to empty it. Other things to include in your bag might be a "chucks pad" or other disposable bedpad, a spare of any diapers, pads, or other neurogenic supplies. I also carry a pair of wheelchair gloves in my pack, a fresh bottle of water to drink, and any medical papers that could be important if I have to be taken to the hospital, such as information about my baclofen pump and other meds along with my insurance and emergency contact information.

Depending on the situation, you may also want to use your pack to bring along a snack, emergency cell phone charger, a change of clothes, etc. With a well-packed backpack, you can be ready for whatever this crazy cripple-hating world throws at ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to leave me feedback? That's swell!